The Global Family Business Index, compiled by the University of St. Gallen, Switzerland, in cooperation with the EY Global Family Business Center of Excellence, highlights the 500 largest family firms in the world by revenue and what they have to say may surprise you!
- Together, the family 500 firms generate 6.5 trillion USD sales
- Together, the family 500 firms employ 21 million people
- Together, the family 500 firms are 40,857 years old
- The average sales volume is 13 billion USD
- The average number of employees is 42,280
- The average firm age is 88 years
- 44% of the firms are owned by the 4th generation or older
- The oldest firm, Takenaka Corporation, has been around since 1610
- 74% of all firms come from the US or Europe
- 52% are publicly listed, 48% privately held.
SOURCE: The Practitioner – an online publication of The Family Firm Institute